Sunday, August 10, 2014

...pure love...

It was one of those sweet, fresh late summer mornings.  Fragrant with mowed hay fields and dew.  Sunshine and cows across the road in the meadow.  I sat on the bench on the porch and listened to the rumble of hubby’s motorcycle from the shed as he got ready to leave for work.  Rested my chin on my knees and wrapped my arms around my legs against the morning chill.

It was a good morning...with a good night of sleep behind me and a minimum of wake-up jitters.  Kids were still in bed finishing up their good night of sleep--hopefully for a little while yet, anyway.  Coffee was waiting and I had fallen prey to a fit of domesticity and baked a blueberry coffeecake the night before in preparation for breakfast this morning. 

Love welled up in my heart, for my hubby, my kids, and this beautiful day.  Nothing out of the ordinary--except the blueberry coffeecake--but such a sweetness to life this morning.  Hubby and I laughing at our own jokes...only funny to us, but sweet and familiar...as he got ready for work.  Tiptoeing around the boys’ beds so as not to disturb the sleeping lumps under the covers as I turned off the fan in their window which was making the room downright cold.  In the next room, my little girl was another sleeping lump under the covers; finally home from camp and enjoying a good night of sleep in her own bed.

Sometimes, there are moments when life seems to be just pure love.  Maybe mingled with a bit of blissful contentment. 

One last check to be sure he had everything; one more hug and goodbye kiss. 

I hugged my knees and watched hubby pull to the end of the driveway.  I put my hand up in a little wave and he tapped the horn as he pulled out onto the road.  I sat on the porch and listened to the rumble of the motorcycle until it faded into the distance.



No comments:

Post a Comment